Friday, January 4, 2013

Sight Word BINGO & Candy Land Sight Word Edition

Have you struggled trying to find ways that are more fun when it comes to teaching sight words? Sitting down with a list of words is over overwhelming to a child when learning to read, and to be honest - BORING! One of the easiest ways I have found to teach sight words is to turn it into a game.

Sight Words are high frequency words that children need to know by sight. Most of the time the phonic rules do not apply to sight words. There are several different ways that you can incorporate sight words into games. One was is Sight Word Bingo game that I developed for Yang.

You will need to download and print all of the links below. Directions are within the first link.

Call List

Game Card 1

Game Card 2

Game Card 3

Game Pieces




Another fun way to incorporate Sight Words is by converting old games. I purchased Candy Land from a flea market for a few dollars. I then took each of the cards and wrote sight words on them. For the cards with two blocks I wrote two sight words, usually compound words. In order to be able to move on your turn you must be able to say the sight word in 60 seconds. If you are unable to say the sight word then you stay where you are until your next turn. To make the game grow with the child you can print the sight words on an index card, cutting to fit on the card. Attach Velcro dots to the back of the index card & the front of the game card from Candy Land. This way you can switch out the sight words as your child masters them.





 

What tips and tricks have used when teaching your child/ren sight words?


Disclaimer: I used a free online program to develop Sight Word BINGO. Feel free to download and use Sight Word BINGO with your children. I ask that you do NOT share the PDF files. Instead direct individuals to this post


 

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to hit the thrift store and see if they have a copy of the game I can write on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Feel free to post your pictures on our facebook page once you complete it.

      https://www.facebook.com/MariettaHomeschoolingZoo

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice that teachers are so much more motivated to teach such difficult task with a real desire to make sure the student actually catches the lesson. I had to learn this the hard way, old school method. The only motivation was I had a very real desire to learn to read for myself. Kudos to you, my daughter - teacher of my Grands. ;}

    ReplyDelete