Wednesday, March 27, 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons...

You may have noticed that I haven't been posting as much, and I apologize. Life has been in a bit of a whirl wind this month. As you know the girls and I went to Florida earlier this month. It had been 5 years since I was "home" and 8 years since Owlet and Poppy had been to Florida. The last time I went "home" it was not a pleasant visit. I went home to lay my Grandma to rest. I was always VERY close with my Grandma and I've never dealt with death very well. I had my first encounter just a few months after turning 5. It is still a subject I am not able to talk in depth about with anyone. When my Mom was 27 weeks pregnant with my little brother she went into premature labor. The doctors tried but after 3 days my brother was no longer with us. I never got to meet my brother since he was in ICU and my sister and I were so young, 4 and 5 years old. I think that may be a lot of why I have issues with his death. A year later I lost another loved one.

Over the course of the last few years of my Grandma's life, my Mother and her brothers became separated. No one could agree to disagree. So when I went "home" I knew there would be LOTS of tension and fighting, and there was. My Father and I had a BIG disagreement before I even had my bags packed. Not what I wanted or needed at the time. I came back to Ohio not seeing or talking to my Father, and I've regretted it ever since. Because of this I really worried about how things would go during our visit this time. Things actually went very well.

On our way back to Ohio from Florida we ended up stopping in South Caroline, not far from the North Carolina state line, and spent the night in a hotel. When we awoke the next morning my husband called with his sister. Unfortunately, they weren't calling with good news. My sister-in-laws youngest daughter lives with her father and he had been incarcerated. Once I got home we began our quest to get custody of my niece. It has been quite an ordeal and one we are still fighting with.
Last Friday I started my spring cleaning in Yang and Poppy's room. They haven't slept in their room in months and it has been at catch all. Yang's toy box was wedged between a wall in their bed, and as I attempted to pull it out I heard a pop and then a shooting pain. I hardly made it to the livingroom to lay down. They pain grew in intensity and by Saturday morning I called my Mom to take me to the ER. I was, and still am, in so much pain that I can not sit, stand, lay or walk. The ER doctor said that I either pulled or tore a muscle and I was having muscle spasms causing the increase in pain. He put my on a pain med, muscle relaxer, told me to use ice packs, lay on my side and put me on bed rest. Tuesday I felt better and did not take any meds all day. Yesterday was another story. The pain was back and in full effect. I called my doctor and have an appt. today.

Since everything has been so hectic between vacation, the situation with my niece and now my injury I haven't been able to do a lot of formal lessons with Yang. The last two nights however she has actually BEGGED me to let her get on Time4Learning! This is the same child that almost never brought home a paper from school. The child that would whine and constantly ask me if we where done when doing our schoolwork from K12. The one that told me her brain would stop working when the sun went down. I'm not sure what has come over my child, but I LOVE IT!! In addition Poppy has completed all of her math, literature and vocabulary for the year!
As my Mother would say - When life gives lemons, make lemonade! Just because things aren't going as planned in your life, especially when it comes to homeschooling, don't give up or even focus on the negative. Look to the good, even if it small. There will be plenty of things that come up that you didn't plan for - illness, family emergencies, injuries, etc. but you just have to keep trucking on. You CAN do this!



No comments:

Post a Comment